Friday, May 11, 2012

Sabbath with a Mountain Tribe



Sabbath has ended with the booming of thunder, an amazing lightening display in the heavens and rain on the tin roof above me. I'm all cosy in my bed, underneath my pink mosquito net - feeling very much like a princess - and I'm looking forward to lights out shortly, either by choice or storm related power cut. I'm lost somewhere in the mountains of Chiang Rai amongst the hill tribes. Pieter and I are the only farang here, which we're thrilled about and the place is totally breathtaking, photos can not capture the grandeur of the vista about us. It feels like the top of the world here - mountains lush with jungle and bamboo. Lychee orchards are prolific on the steep mountainsides, in fact it seems every tree we see are dripping with the small fruit, and this is the place to enjoy the sweetest offerings of this delicacy in all of Thailand, so I'm told, and we've travelled 1000's of km's to taste them - we were NOT disappointed!
My little hide-away under my pink mosquito net with the natural light from the outside taking away the total darkness of a day or two without power.
We're visiting our Thai co-workers family and village nestled amongst the hills. They speak their own dialect, so Thai doesn't really help but I say it all the same, when I remember a word or two. To my surprise both Pieter and myself were given a room each, such a privilege! I've been sharing not only a room, but a bed with Goi for 3 weeks. 
Walking up to church behind the house with a lovely view over the village
Today is the day we attend church, and yes, there is actually a church here and a Pastor. We've meet before, he's about my age, speaks English well, and really easy to talk with. I laugh to myself after we climb the hill behind our house to church, a small building with wooden window shutters - and no seats inside. My body is quietly rebelling at sitting on the ground - again. Mats are rolled out and we all sit on the floor. I tell my body to shush. This is the smallest congregation I've joined in with since arriving in Thailand - there are 11 of us, including the Pastor and Nana who is completely deaf and excludes the breast feeding toddler and the puppy who followed us. The Pastor can speak the 3 languages represented and does a fine job in including us all. 3 songs are sung in the tribal tongue, they sound really lovely. Prayer - I've not yet figured out what to do with myself while prayer is offered in a language I don't understand and I usually find myself talking to God also "I've no idea what they're saying Lord, but I say Amen". Off course the Pastor wishes both Pieter and myself to share our testimonies while he translates, that fills the next 20 or so minutes then we turn to the text he wants us to read and we all take a turn and read a verse in our various tongues, then he preaches - that's where he lost me... as he's speaking the local dialect again. But it was an experience to be sure. Everything is finished at 10am and we are asked if we wish to have lunch. No we didn't as breakfast was only a short while ago.
Our little get-together. The Pastor center showing us the church and preaching while sitting on the floor - Love what they've done with the furnishings. Nana who was deaf and the boys sitting together through worship.
We know we're welcomed as Goi's family are bending over backwards to make us feel at home. Goi tells us that her father has been cooking for us, which is very special and very delish. They seem to take great delight at my facial expressions and exclamations of the level of chilli I've just eaten. Goi's teased me this whole trip with my vocal level of "no chilli please" with "A baby could eat this!". I must say I am getting used to some chilli and it's most reassuring of the hospitality being offered as people run in all directions falling over themselves in getting me some water to drink as I've accidentally eaten something I wished I hadn't in the chilli line and my face is screwed up, tears are rolling down my cheeks and I'm making sucky noises. I think they find me rather amusing. Silly fergan. Still I love their food.
The lovely view over the village from the porch
The wonderful kitchen where the rustic open fire made our meals, even with no power and all things were completed while squatting. Though I loved the table with chairs to eat...sigh
Our outing for today consisted of us being driven over mountainous terrain to visit Grandma and her Lychee orchard in another village where there is only solar power... cool. 4WD trucks are very cool to stand in while driving the 14km to her village, something we can't do at home, so you'll always see Pieter and I standing on the back. Something grabbed at my mind - these Lychee orchards are on steep hillsides. Well, yes, and when we got to our one it was no different. Once the truck could no longer follow the path, we walked.... straight down! O boy. Going straight down meant only one thing - climbing straight up afterwards. I made it half way down, told everyone to go on without me, climbed back up - died - revived - continued - died again and made it back to the truck (so pleased no one saw the state I was in) and spent a wonderful time hearing nothing but nature. It was truly wonderful - once I'd recovered. Before too long everybody made it back all hot and sweaty. The young men were first carrying large sacks of Lychee and looked totally pooped but bounced back soon, as young men do. The Pastor had picked me a bunch of lychee... ummm yum.
The mountain vista, the road traveled while standing in the back of a ute and Lychee orchard
Then it rained. And rained, And rained some more. See Pieter washing his feet?
Later, after my much needed nana-nap, I found Goi and her mother around a small wooden crate with a plastic top which had two wholes cut out. It turned out to be a makeshift sauna for us to enjoy. They were prep-ing it, building a fire, getting it all hot and fed it while both Pieter and myself sat, sweated and cleansed inside. They'd also re-modelled the crate from one user to house two of us with a dividing wall and two doors. There was some special herbs wafting around us mixed within the smoke, something like sage, but not, and as the sun was setting and the lightening begun we enjoyed the unexpected blessing. It was amazing. Afterwards we both went and had a cold bucket bath which was freezing after such a hot experience. Then as we sat down to dinner this sense of being 'high' overcome both of us. I was all giggly and light headed while Pieter was asked if his camera was in his room and answered "I don't know what's in my room but I'm really happy right now" which set us off into fits of giggles again.

So here I am ending my Sabbath, under my pink mosquito net, enjoying the pelting rain, wishing I didn't have to get up to turn the light out as I'm all comfy. I'm feeling all internally cleansed, wholesome and sleepy.
Our treat for the night - a homemade sauna with the special 11 herbs and spices added
This part of our trip has been an absolute highlight. Tomorrow we're off to find some elephants.




No comments:

Post a Comment