Friday, May 11, 2012

Experiencing God

I love a good preacher, and I've been inspired by many over the years, but I do take them and what they do for granted. Each week I expect the preacher to ...well ...preach, without any thought what it has taken them to create something rousing, inspiring, challenging, heartfelt and a personal message to me from God. That's a lot to expect eh? But there you go, it's part of the nature of their job I guess with a great big dollop of calling from God in their lives. Every now and again I hear comments like "I could never do what he does". With such high expectations as mine, no, neither could I!

However I've noticed something interesting since I left home to be a volunteer missionary. It's not all that surprising really, as I've seen that God will use every bit of talent or gift that he's given you to use it for His purpose if you allow Him. One of the gifts He gave me was a sanguine nature, which comes with a handy dandy ability to not to be shy in front of a group of people (within reason). I have also noticed, when asked to 'preach', I get nervous with a douse of butterflies and although I've done it maybe twice 'officially' it sets my knees knocking and turns my solar plexus to jelly. But ask me to share just moments, or, at most, the night before, I'm totally at ease. This is where God is using me and it's been an incredibly uplifting experience.


I remember having a one-on-one with the Lord before leaving home where I said to Him, "If you'd like me to share anything about what You've done in my life and going through, I'd be happy to do so". And so it began, in being asked to share about how I came to be in Thailand, next it was a lecture about graphic design as a tool for the church, then sharing something encouraging at church, someone on the street who was a new Christian and wanted to talk and so on and so forth.


I love the art of spontaneity, and although I shouldn't be,
I am totally amazed that the Lord chooses to speak to and through me in this way. In fact, even while writing this I'm reminded of the story of God telling Moses that He wanted him to go and be His spokesmen in Egypt to free His people, as they banter about it God finally says in Exo 4:12  "Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak." This has been what I've been experiencing, maybe in a less than grand way as was Moses's commission - I've not yet spoken to the King of Thailand, but I've heard the very thing that the Lord wishes me to say next.

One such time I was sitting in the congregation having no idea I was about to be called upon. Apparently I was the 'special' item as someone else didn't show up. The church was packed! About 30-40 people. As I approached the front I still had no idea what I was to say. Smiling I introduce myself and ask everyone to pray with me, in prayer I silently ask the Lord in my heart "What do You wish that I share?" And like Moses of old arguing about the duty he's been commissioned with, the Lord actually tells me to share about what He's just revealed to me about an aspect of my life. All within the space of the short prayer I struggle with what's been asked of me. It was so fresh, only days old, I was feeling rather vulnerable and was still processing the new information given me. But God asked that I share it. So upon saying Amen, I begin, and each time I pause for air, the Lord would tell me what to say next. At the end of talking - maybe 15-30 minutes later. Woman were wiping their eyes and men were sitting on the edge of their seats. So something that was shared God used to touch them to heal them and love them. I am awed and humbled that I am used in this way. What's more, it continually shows me that God is real and cares about everything in my and others lives. That He would actually speak to us! How amazing is that?!



To date the hardest, or rather, the most unusual situation I was placed in was a men's prison in central Thailand. My video production team had been granted permission to visit and film as we were interviewing an ex-inmate who had found God while incarcerated and we were filming how his life had changed since. We needed b-roll (the story part) and hence being in the prison he'd been in. We expected to be flies on the wall, but little did we know what was expected of us. We walked into a hall and sitting in front of us waited 50 men wanting to hear us speak! We didn't realise this until the Pastor, who brought us, had gone to the front to introduce what we were there for first, then turned to me asked me to share something encouraging with the men. !!!. I was stunned. What could I possibly say to them that didn't sound like some sort of Christian glib generic encouragement, I mean here I am, a white woman from a different country and culture, a mother, having no point of reference with these men, who didn't even understand me. There was no trust between us, some of them looked board already and I became concerned with my attire of shorts and t-shirt - very causal but necessary for the heat. So I asked God on the spot to help me. And immediately the answer was given, "Tell them of the time you were arrested". So I did. While that was being translated I was told the next thing to say. In a nut shell it all basically covered all the mistakes I'd made, habits I had etc and why I finally turned to God in life and how my life has changed in knowing Him. The board faces turned to smiles, nods, and laughter in the right places with a few hearty Amen's and Hallelujah's from a chap in the front row. Afterwards, when the others had also shared I was invited to come up again and offer prayer and 3 men came up for special prayer for healing.

Jail - being searched, and taking a couple of sneaky pics (shhh). The men waiting for us, can't show their faces
due to protecting their privacy on line. The inmates respectfully always kept their below their the heads of the guards (and us) other than walking by. Note 2nd row left pic of an inmate talking with a guard - That was a strange experience.
My reaction afterwards when I was on my own? I cried - being totally overwhelmed with what had happened. I felt honoured, in awe and humbled that not only being a blessing but felt I was given a blessing also. My God talks to me, far out!

I am a conductor in-between the God of the universe and the translator... to Him be the glory.


So I'm excited to wonder just what he'll do next. 


If you'd like to share this I invite you to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment