Friday, May 11, 2012

The laziest of days

Rain persisted down all night, which made for great sleeping and upon waking, for a cosy lie-in for hours. Seems it doesn't matter what culture you belong to, everyone in the house had the same thoughts and no one stirred till about 9 am with a call to gang kai (eating) at 10. While it was still bucketing down, we enjoyed a hot breaky of rice, green veggies with garlic, roasted nuts and omelet.

This this the coldest I've been in Thailand, though still wearing a t-shirt with arms bare, I could really use a second layer to warm up. I actually stood by the open kitchen fire for a few minutes to do just that and while eating, the dog, obviously sensing my slight discomfort, slept on my tootsies keeping that part of me warm. Off course he was duly rewarded with on-purpose accidental dropping of food from my bowl - what a lovely doggy.

I avail myself of the toileting facility and notice that with all the rain the bath is now full and overflowing and while using the amenities I was also showered with droplets of water from the gaps and holes in the iron roof above me - ahhh, gotta love country living.

The sauna was ready again and I was offered first dibs - O heaven! 45min in there then a freezing few buckets of water afterwards, now I'm all wrapped up back in bed. There's nothing else to do, so it's a relaxing Sunday of reading, writing, snoozing and eating. Power is out so writing by hand to save laptop battery. During my sleep it seemed the neighbours all around learned about our sauna and are all lined up outside to get their turn. It's actually a way they can make a bit of extra money and for 80B about 14 people enjoyed what I was offered for free.
The village people started arriving for their own sauna treatment - at the end of the day the family had earned 1000B - about NZ$40

This time I enjoyed the sauna in the rain - almost heaven!
This is what we did all day long, read by light as power was out.
The afternoon consisted of much the same procedure as the morning, and after a pretty wonderful mid morning, early afternoon sleep, lunch was served. That over, some more reading, writing and another snooze saw me through to dinner time, which had to be in the light as power never returned to the village. After dinner I had another sauna and don't really know what else to do, so, you guessed it, I'm back in bed, reading, writing and considering another snooze. Rain is starting up again.... cosy. Needless to say, we didn't find any elephants today. Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment