Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'm in Australia

Its been a number of months since I left Thailand and ahead of me is a 9 hour train ride along the sunny coast of Australia, we've just ordered a vegetarian lunch option from the buffet car and thought to catch up on some reading and maybe a blog entry or two.
Returning home to New Zealand after 10 months away was not like it once was while on my first overseas experience - with facebook and Skype as it is, it's almost as if you've not been away at all. In fact being home was as if I hadn't been away at all, but I just seemed to have a number of months of new experiences. Upon on my arrival, my daughter leaped into my arms and we cried with the excitement of seeing one another again, only to find 15 min later it was like "Meh, only saw you 6 hrs earlier over Skype". It was a delight to finally hold her though, and to hug all my friends one by one as I reconnected with them.

Sofia and I enjoying an early summer's afternoon in the bottom of NZ - it was freezing! A contrast to Thailand!
My luggage just tipping the scales at 19.5kgs, after leaving with 15kg months earlier. But I was now bearing Christmas gifts. Home didn't feel as 'small' either, but it seemed to glow as if I was wearing polarized sunglasses. It took a good week to get used to it again. Summer hadn't hit NZ at that point and my 3 week stay in the deep south was really cold. My daughter had preempted this and brought me some thermals and a merino wool cardi, and I lived in them.

I hunkered down to work the first 3 weeks. The Lord indeed took care of me, giving me several clients needing my services as soon as I landed, I also wanted to complete my Christmas card collection - so burnt the candle at both ends for a while. As my girl finished her music studies, I kept my vigil on her couch beavering away at what I love to do most - being creative.
 
My first Christmas Card collection
Among all that work we sold most of her things and scaled the rest of her world into a suitcase (she learned from the best). I was very proud of her as she chose to do it and did it well without too much assistance from her Mum. Her future was unsure, she had learned she had made it to the final audition of a music ministry band in Australia and I had secured her return flights for the two day interview. In faith I knew it would work out for her - with God leading - but it took an active participation of said 'faith' to get her prepared to go - it was like hard work - I had only purchased one way tickets to Australia, so it's was Aussie or something else, without really knowing what that something else would be. New Zealander's are able to live and work in Australia without the need of visas and constrictions.
With her year finally finished and everything sold we packed and drove north to our hometown of Christchurch. The weather was warming up and we had gracious friends who gave us a good sized room in their home for our 3 week stay. Sofia volunteered her time at her old high school, assisting with the end of year happenings and community Christmas caroling program they produce annually and was able to say goodbye to all she needed too.

Overall my trip home served its purpose. I worked, reconnected with those I love and I come to the realisisation I was comfortable in this new lifestyle and excited for year 2 - I enjoy living out of a bag, traveling round, volunteering and house sitting. I noticed God was blessing each idea and endeavor and everything was falling into place - even to selling our car - which was an answer to prayer as I sold it 3 weeks before I needed to leave yet had full use of it till the day of departure.

Which was to Australia in the middle of December. 
Enjoying the very sunny and hot Gold Coast
It had been a long while since I'd last seen my folks and brother and I we all converged on my brother and his partner for Christmas. Having planned 4 months in Aussie - I was able to arrange several house-sitting jobs while here also and each one was perfectly in alinement with our plans.
This is where I am now, having completed the first house-sitting placement and heading to the second after final goodbyes to the family. In tow is my daughter, who, after her two day audition has been told she made it into the band - it's such a thrill and a little bit surreal it's actually happening. And it happens to be further perfect timing as we are in the neighborhood in our current house-sit to easily drop her off in her new career - a 2 year contract. So with my girl sorted and secure for the next 24 months I can get on with my travels and volunteer work.
 
Currumbin Wildlife Park
The days have been HOT and SUNNY here in Australia - it's a great country full of people I can talk with - something I missed while in Thailand.
Not that I expected it, nor wish it (who does?) but we're starting out in this leg of the trip with a few challengers. I'm very grateful to God for teaching me a thing of two while in Thailand about accepting a situation as it is.

 
As a family we decided to purchase a car - it was ideal, as I'm here for 4 months, my folks were hiring a car so we combined our money and with the aid of my brother brought. It has been great, ideal and convenient. Petrol is cheaper here than it is in NZ and therefore a cheaper option than using public transport and with the size of the country it makes sense.
 
Standard in the middle of nowhere
So as made our farewells to the Gold Coast to drive 8 hours to Newcastle our car decided to breakdown 538kms short of our destination. Marooned on the side of the road we practiced giving praise and gratitude for our circumstances rather then freak out. The Lord blessed with me with calmness and wisdom throughout the ordeal. I only dealt with  the issue before me and not what would happen if... if you know what I mean.
goodbye
I called the Australian roadside assistance to be told I needed to join, for either $274 or $350 plus - I stopped listening as it had already exceeded my budget. God's wisdom - call a tow truck, get to mechanic, assist the situation.
Alas the head gasket was the issue - and a longer story cut short - we're now on a train heading down to Newcastle. Left the car behind for the wrecker. A night needed to be spent in the small town we were stranded in and after that all went smoothly without running ahead of the situation on the moment. I'm so thrilled with this.

Our house-sitting appointment was pushed back and the couple we are sitting for will collect us from the train station and offered to lend us their car for the 3 weeks we're at their place - God is still in charge.
We lack for nothing. :)
 
Stay tuned to learn how God will lead. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I've been following your site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

    Feel free to visit my homepage - Sessel mit Aufstehhilfe

    ReplyDelete