Thursday, March 8, 2012

Apartment at the end of Soi 32

My street sign - Pridi Banomyong is my 'suburb'
At the end of a narrow lane, that kinda looks like an ally-way, sits my apartment block. It's rather new and clean compared to some of the options round about. Mind you, I've been both well kept and disarray sitting side-by-side. The advertising flier for my building states: Good location, quiet environment (true, can't hear the main road), 150m to main road, comfortable room, big bathroom, energy efficient, (air con), bed, cupboard, dressing table, high speed internet and 24hr security officer, along with CCTV entrance-key card system - nobody's getting into this baby!
my apartment circled in red
I've been given a room on the second floor, and I must say I'm pretty pleased I don't need to climb to the 4th like my work colleague, there are plenty of stairs to climb in Bangkok let alone having to do so just to get to ones room.

My little haven is owed my a church member and gifted to me for the duration of my stay rent free. In turn I pay for the monthly utilities of net, water and electricity. I've since learned that the rent on such a place starts at 3900B/NZ $155 a month. I've no idea if this is indicative of other rents here about, I assume, but you know where that led me in my last post.

my room in all it's glory, a great size for me, but I've seen whole families living in this space!
my bed is slightly better than sleeping on the floor, with practically no 'give' in it.




I arrived to my apartment with it set up for living in. The furniture comes with the room, but the rest were gifted to me, giving me such a blessing. The theme seems to be pink, so pink sheet, cases, blanket, towels and rubbish bin. The other farang's (foreigners) I'm working with are Americans and seem to be tickled with my kiwi naming of things. Its all in good nature and I enjoy it also. I've found that the only soft thing about my bed, is me in it! But I sleep, and that's the most important thing.
I was also given other items useful for living like a fan, ironing board and iron, plates, cutlery, some food and water, toilet paper, broom, washing basket, a folding table and a small computer desk and chair (not pictured) given to me a week after I arrived. Having all my needs meet, I don't want for much else - in my heart I'd love a recliner, but it doesn't seem to be something people have here... lol... ok needs meet, with a wishful hope on the side. O I'm such a westerner. Though, I am content and very grateful with what I have.

You'll notice there is no kitchen here, neither is there a communal one in the building, you see everything is on the street. It's the communities dinning room and food is cheap. I don't even have a fridge. But this doesn't concern me. I'll write about the food in another post, as it's a story all on it's own.
my wardrobe and bathroom

It was a good feeling to unpack after a few months living out of my travel bag, as you can see it doesn't take up much space. My bathroom is great, everything all in one. The toilet amuses me. There is a little hose attachment to the right of the bowl. Upon 'finishing' you're to use it to wash/squirt (whatever) yourself then dab dry with paper, then put said paper into the rubbish bin next the the loo. Hmmm, takes some getting used to, but everything is in working order with no mishaps. Just so you know :)

The water is cold, which is great, as it's hot all the time. But sometimes first thing in the morning you kinda wish for a little heat as it takes your breath away - weird. Mind you if you return for a midday shower you'll most likely find it hot, when you actually wish it to be cold. The sun warms up everything... sigh. Such is life. Once I realised I had hot water, I did my dishes, it's weird doing them in cold water.

Oh - the light switches are the opposite from home. Down is off, up is on.
This is the cool view form my balcony window - I love the Mosque
From my balcony I get this awesome view of other homes down the Soi and the Mosque that fronts onto the main road. At night the two towers light up with green lights. The absolute highlight living here is the call to prayer at 5:15 every morning. I'm not often home in the afternoon to hear it, but it's so soothing. I've called my family at that time so they can hear it also.

The balcony is where everyone dries their clothes, it's great to have them done over night. I've done one wash in my first week, the building has 3 washing machines at our disposal for small (20B/NZ$.80), med (30B/NZ$1.18), and large (40B/NZ$1.58) washes.


For now this is my home away from home and I thank God each day for the privilege of having this space to make and call my own. I'm enjoying my interaction with both the day time and night time guards. They only speak Thai and we chat away not knowing what the other is saying. The night guard and his wife are funny, she practices her English on me and I draw pictures to try and talk to her... until I can practice Thai on her, and he tries to teach me Thai... making friends is fun.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tania... just read/watched your blog.. very nice little room! Simple and easy to keep clean! Not much housework Friday! What time is sunset over there? does it vary like here??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - By 'here' do you mean NZ? Sun sets are about 6:30pm, I've no idea if this fluctuates through the year. Yeah it's a sweet little room, a quick whip round it's done! Just the way I like it :)

    ReplyDelete