Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I've been everywhere man

It's been a fast past, list making, life changing 4 months since my last entry. I was full of great intentions but haven't kept abreast of the sequence of events I'd hoped too on here, but instead of lagging behind even further I thought I'd just launch off and fill in the gaps as I go.

I've been reading other travelers blogs to get a feel of what they talk about on their travels, I'm into the details, the small stuff, as I love to plan and make sure I have everything covered. So I intend to follow the same route. Off course should anyone have a question fire away.

With a few months of hindsight, I look back at the last 4 or so months in amazement at the constant forward motion. Here's a recap:

November '11 Required some physical logistics between my studio to home, home to my parents storage unit, and home to home for the purpose of having all of my daughters things in one place ready of her move in the new year.
I preceded to sell all my worldly possessions - It seemed to take ages, and it became hard - emotionally - to get rid of everything. I'd have days of feeling too paralyzed with fear to do anything and would 'waste' whole days and part of a week before I had the courage to tackle it again, it was a huge undertaking on my own. 
L to R: My studio, Our home, packing and ready to return keys

Advice - allow yourself the time to go through it all, if you get stuck, that's fine, it's all part of the process of eliminating, and invite a close friend over for the hard bits - I did. My friend Sandra came over 3 times in total to talk me through it and help me surge forward.

In the end I was sick-to-death of TradeMe and lamented over the fact that everything I owned - everything - only saw my bank balance rise by about $1500. On a good note, Sofia received her inheritance early, taking the kitchen appliances and my car. In the end, what was left is being sold on behalf and I gained a new perspective of consumerism - if you can't carry it, don't buy it!. Still, I felt the freedom of having nothing. And laugh at myself now at what I did place in my folks storage - 3 small boxes of my CPIT working art books - justincase - my paintings for my folks to put on their walls and 3 or 4 books I gave my girl to look after for me. Phew - what a mission! With the house (with the help of my bestie) and grounds cleaned we moved out Dec 1st. Through this time Sofia learned she had gallstone issues and was hospitalised 3 times over 6 weeks with attacks, so that took its toll.

December '11 was filled with two different housesitting jobs, Sofia's high-school graduation, Christmas, parents visiting, refining what was left of our possessions and the beginnings of goodbyes for both of us.
Sofia graduating from high school, giving a speech, announching teacher of the year (Prefect - proud Mum!),
Xmas while housesitting, Dad on Xmas morning, Mum and I cooking Xmas lunch
Sofia and Jazz, one of the housesitting pets, sitting over everything, namely Sofia and my suitcase
Sofia mowing the lawn - a much loved chore, but only on a ride on!

January '12 was a buzz with preparing the finer points of leaving - visiting my accountant, paperwork for visa's, costs of flights, paring back further what I was taking, buying luggage and working etc. Sofia and Cassandra secured a home in Invercargill and Cass moved down the week before we did. We then spent a handful of days with a friend where she and her family allowed me to mess up half the kitchen table with work, while Sofia volunteered her week helping set up the junior hall for our churches annual Camp. The week long camp was a time of final goodbyes, then we packed the rest of Sofia's things in the car and drove the 559 km south to my girls new home. I was there for 2 and a half days when it was finally our time to say goodbye. It was bitter sweet yet we both felt good about it. After hugs, kisses, and tears, I boarded a bus to head back to Christchurch. A few days later I was on the road again driving North to the Picton ferry and the length of North Island to Auckland - 762.49 km.
Sofia and I on the road traveling south, love our family shots together
Top: from a 3 bedroom home to 15kgs and 2 bags
bottom Left: Cassandra, Owen and Sofia at their new home
Top right: Our final goodbye
bottom right: my chariot awaits


That is where you'll find me as of writing. I've contracted some work for the duration I'm here and staying with a friend and spending weekends visiting my parents. 

I've had to remind myself that's its not about 'getting there' but about the journey. I must say, I'm really enjoying myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment